Division of Electronics and Communications Engineering
1) Prof. S. L. Maskara
Prof S. L. Maskara received his Master degree from IISc Bangalore and Ph.D. from IIT Kharagpur in 1966 and 1977 respectively. He started his career as Assistant Professor/ Lecturer in the Telecommunication Engineering Department at Bihar Institute of Technology, Sindri, Jharkhand. From 1966 to 2004 he served at different faculty positions (i.e., Lecturer /Assistant Professor/ Professor) in the Electronics and Electrical Communication Engineering Department of the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur. From 2004-05, he worked as Distinguished Professor at Dhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information and Communication Technology, Gandhinagar, Gujarat. Between 2005-06 he served as Distinguished Professor at L. N. Mittal Institute of Information Technology, Jaipur. He was Dean of Academics & Research at Jaypee Institute of Information Technology, Noida from 2006-11.
He has been closely associated with many sponsored and consultancy research projects many of which has been successfully completed. His research interest includes spread spectrum, error control coding, digital satellite and optical fiber communication, Telecommunication switching and networking.
Have been actively engaged in consultancy and sponsored research work from Department of Electronics, Defence Research and Development Organisation, Ministry of HRD, ISRO, BEL Ghaziabad, ECIL Hyderabad. Most of these projects where I have been either a co-investigator or chief investigator have been successfully completed. Some of the projects were/are
(1) Adaptive Delta Modulation (DRDO)
(2) Low bit rate speech coding (DRDO)
(3) Fibre Optic Communication (DRDO)
(4) Digital Communication (ISRO)
(5) Spread Spectrum Techniques (DRDO)
(6) Telematics (MHRD)
(7) Education and Research in Computer Network (DOE)
(8) Fibre Optics Application (DOE)
- K. S. Krishnan Memorial award (1981) of the IETE for the Paper “ Codes and Tracking Receiver for an Experimental Spread Spectrum Multiple Access System “, JIETE, Vol. 27, No. 8, 1981, pp. 265‑270.
- Third Prof K. Sreenivasan Memorial award for outstanding contribution in teaching Electronics and Telecommunication Engg. in the broadest sense during the last 10 years, IETE, 1994‑95.
- VSNL Chair Professor, IIT Kharagpur, (1996 ‑ 97 )
- Distinguished Aluminus Award of B.I.T Sindri on the occasion of its Golden Jubilee, 1999.
- K. S. Krishnan Memorial award (2001 - 02) of the IETE for the Paper “ An Overview of Congestion Control Techniques in ATM Networks and Some Performance Results”, IETE Technical Review, Vol. 17, No.3, May-June 2000, pp 87-103.
- K. Chatterjee, S.L. Maskara and (Mrs,) R. Chatterjee, "Reactance Modulated Sommerfeld Surface Wave Line" Prod. IERE ( India , Vol,, VI, No. 2, PP. 53 - 57, April‑.June, 1968.
- N. Faruqui and S.L. Maskara, "Adaptive Techniques in Delta Modulation Systems" Electrotechnology, XVI.2, 1972.
- N. Faruqui and S. L. Maskara, "Performance of the two Loop and two Digit Delta Modulation Systems" Electrotechnology, XVI, 2, 1972.
- N. Faruqui and S.L. Maskara, "Problems in Multi‑channel Transmission in Delta Modulation Systems" Electrotechnology, XVI, 2, 19'72.
- L. Maskara, "An active RC Delay Line for Matched Filter Correlators", IEEE Trans. on Communications, Vol,Com. 25, No. 8, 1977,
- L. Maskara, "A Simple Active RC Delay Line", Jour IETE.Vol. 24, No.7, pp.285-288 1978.
- L. Maskara, "An Overview of Telecommunications”, Modern Electronics, Vol. 1, No.6, 1979.
- N. Faruqui and S.L, Maskara, "Adaptive Techniques in Delta Modulation Systems'', Seminar on Digital Communications for Defence Applications, LRDE Bangalore, March 1972 .
- M, N. Faruqui and S, L. Maskara, "Performance of the Two Loop and the Two Digit Delta Modulation systems", ibid.
- Faruqui and S.L. Maskara, "Problems in Multichannel Transmission in Delta Modulation systems", ibid.
- Das, S.L, Maskara and M.R. Krishnan, "Performance of Rate‑Half Convolutional Codes for an SCPC Satellite Channel ( STEP Experiment )”, Seminar on STEP Experiences, Space Application Centre, Ahmedabad,March19‑20, 1979.
- Sudhakar, K.Ramamurthy and S.L.Maskara, “Codes and Tracking Receiver for An experimental Spread Spectrum Multiple Access Systems”, The IETE Symposium on Communication, Calcutta, May 23-24, 1980.
- Ghorai, P.Mitra and S.L.Maskara, “Microprocessor Based Viterbi Decoding of Convolution Codes”, The IETE Symphosium on Communication, Calcutta, May 23-24, 1980.
- M.Rao and S.L.Maskara, “Signal Design for Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum Multiple Access System”, The IETE Symposium on Modern Trends in Communications at Ahmedabad, August 27-28, 1980.
- M.Rao and S.L.Maskara, “Performance Study of PNS derived addresses for an FH-SSMA system”, International Conference on Communication Circuits and Systems, Jadavpur University, Calcutta, Dec. 26-28, 1981.
- L.Maskara, T.K.Ray and K.Sudhakar, “Digital Matched filter correlator for spread spectrum multiple access system”, International Symposium on Microwaves and Communication, I.I.T., Kharagpur, Dec. 29-30, 1981.
- M.Rao and S.L.Maskara, “A frequency hopping SSMA system for speech communication”, International Symposium on Microwaves and Communication, I.I.T., Kharagpur, Dec. 29-30, 1981.
- M.Rao and S.L.Maskara, “A frequency hopping SSMA system for speech communication”, International Symposium on Microwaves and Communication, I.I.T., Kharagpur, Dec. 29-30, 1981.
- L.Maskara, “Status report on Fibre Optic Communication System for speech and picture signals”, All India Symposium on Fibre Optic Sensors, I.I.Sc., Bangalore, March 18-19, 1983.
- L.Maskara, “Advances in Digital Satellite Communication”, IETE Annual Convention, New Delhi, Feb. 1984.
- S.Katakol, A.K.Jain and S.L.Maskara, “Microprocessor based sequential system for robust data communication”, IETE Annual Convention, New Delhi, February 1984.
- M.Rao and S.L.Maskara, “Signal design for FH-SSMA Communication system using Pseudorandom sequences”, MILCOM 84, Los Angeles, Oct. 21-24, 1984.
- S.Naidu, G.K.Sarkar and S.L.Maskara, “Matched Filter correlators for concatenated code spread spectrum systems”, National Conference on Integrated Circuits, Communications and Signal Processing, Osmania University, Hyderabad, Dec. 17-18, 1984.
- L.Maskara, “Progress in Optical Communications”, National Symposium on Communication System Technology for future, DEAL, Dehra Dun, March 15-16, 1985.
- S.Katakol and S.L.Maskara, “Adaptive Variable rate Communication system for fading channels”, NASCOSTOF, DEAL, Dehra Dun, March 15-16, 1895.
- L.Maskara and S.Shanmugavel, “Spread Spectrum Communication System for Speech and Teleprinter Signals using gold codes”, NASCOSTOF, DEAL, Dehra Dun, March 15-16, 1985.
- L.Maskara, “Modernising Electrical Engineering Education”, Workshop on Curriculam Development, SCSITS, Indore, July 15-19, 1985.
- L.Maskara, M.N.Faruqui, D.Chowdhury and D.Bhattacharya, “An Experimental Fibre Optic digital video link”, International Conference on Micro Electronics and Fibre Optics, CSIO, Chandigarh, Nov. 5-8, 1985.
- S. Katakol and S.L.Maskara, “Alternatives in Sequential Decoding”, 29th Annual Convention of the IETE, New Delhi, Feb. 15-17, 1986.
- Sanmugaval and S.L.Maskara, “Bit-matched filter realization using multiple samples”, 29th Annual Convention of the IETE, New Delhi, Feb. 15-17, 1986.
- S.Katakol and S.L.Maskara, “Communication Channel Modelling and System Design for Fading Media”, Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, New Delhi, Feb. 24-28, 1986.
- L.Maskara, “Mobile Communications”, key note address at the workshop on Mobile Communication Systems and Applications, Andhra University, Waltair, April 12-13, 1986.
- Chockalingam, S.L.Maskara and A.D.Kulkarni, “A Hi-reliability Telemetry Scheme for Satellite Launchers”, National Symposium on Instrumentation, Instrument Society of India, Hyderabad, October 1-4, 1986.
- S.Katakol and S.L.Maskara, “Some Results in Sequential Decoding”, 1986 IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory”, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA, October 6-9, 1986.
- Rakshit and S.L.Maskara, “Optical Fibre Communication in Power Systems”, All India Seminar on Communication - its importance in power plants, Institution of Engineers(I), Bangalore, October 16-17, 1986.
- S.Katakol and S.L.Maskara, “Performance of Modified Fano Algorithm in adaptive variable rate transmission systems over fading channels”, Symp. on Electronic Devices, Circuits and Systems, I.I.T., Kharagpur, Dec. 16-18, 1987.
- Shamugaval and S.L.Maskara, “Performance of burst error correcting codes in Spread Spectrum Systems” ibid.
- Chandra Sekhar and S.L.Maskara, “Comparative evaluation of FH/PSK and DS/PSK Spread Spectrum Systems under Jamming”, ibid.
- T.Kulkarni, S.L.Maskara and S.Shanmugavel, “Spread Spectrum Antijam Communication System Design non-linear codes”, National Symposium on Physics of Electronic Communication, University of Burdwan, Dec. 27-29, 1987.
- Sarkar, P.Ravi Prassad, S.L.Maskara and S.Shanmugavel, “A Computer network using TDMA/TDM Protocols for Data Communication”, 32nd Annual Tech. Convention of the IETE, Madras, May 26-28, 1989.
- Ghosh, S.S.Pathak, S.L.Maskara and T.Biswas, “RLAN : A Low cost serial port Token ring network for IBM PC Compatibles”, ibid.
- Rakshit, D.Datta and S.L.Maskara, “Design of a star based Fibre Optic LAN using CAMA/CD Protocol”, ibid.
- Datta, S.Rakshit and S.L.Maskara, “Trends in Local Area Computer networks using Fibre Optics” ibid.
- L.Maskara and V. Subrahmanya, “ A bidirectional Fibre Optic link for digital voice-data communication”, National Conference on Electronic Circuits and Systems, Univ. of Roorkee, Nov. 2-4, l989.
- L.Maskara, S.Raksshit and D.Datta, “Fibre Optic Applications- An Introduction”, National Seminar on Fibre Optic Systems in Industrial and Service Sectors, IIT Kharagpur, Nov. 29-30, 1989.
- Rakshit, D.Datta and S.L.Maskara, “Trends in Fibre Optic Local area computer networks”, Ibid.
- Ghosh and S.L.Maskara, “Net drive : A device driver implementation for mass storage sharing on IBM PC compatibles over local and wide area networks”, International Conference on Local Area Networks, Indolan, ‘ 90, Madras, Jan. 30-31, 1990.
- K.Sarkar and S.L.Maskara, “ Development of a frame design algorithm for a star based Data Communication Computer Network using TDM/TDMA technique”, A.K.Chowdhury commemoration Symposium, Dept. of Radio Physics and Electronics, Univ. of Cal., Feb. 21-23, 1990.
- L.Maskara, “Multiple Access Coommunications” (Invited paper), National Symposium on Emerging Trends in Communication Technology, Jodhpur University, March 16-17,, 1990.
- Chakrabarti and S.L.Maskara, “Performance of two stage concatenated error control coding using block codes”. Ibid.
- Chakrabarti and S.L.Maskara, “Performance Evaluation of some two stage concatenated coding schemes”, Workshop on Signal Processing, Communications and Networking, I.I.Sc, Bangalore, 23-26 July, 1990.
- L.Maskara, “Video transmission with optical fibres (Invited) Future Vision Seminar on Fibre Optic and related technologies”, I.I.T., Delhi, 11 Aug. 1990.
- L.Maskara, “An overview of Fibre Optic Communication Systems”, Indo-US Workshop on Fibre and Integrated Optic”, IIT, Kharagpur, 6-8 Sept. 1990.
- D’Souza and S.L.Maskara, “Comparative evaluation of FANO, Stack and Minimum distance Sequential Decoders for Forward Error Correction”, IEEE Asia-Pacific Region-10, International Conference (TENCON-91), New Delhi, Aug. 28-30,1991.
- K.Sarkar and S.L.Maskara, “A Simulation Model for performance evaluation of multiple access schemes for a star configured data communication computer network”, Ibid.
- L.Maskara, “Telecommunication and Space-New Horizon”, World Telecommunication Day, (IE(I), Kharagpur Local Centre, May 17, 1992.
- Chakrabarti and S.L.Maskara, “Concatenated codes for countering co-channel Interference”, IEEE, ACE-92, Calcutta, Nov. 21-23,1992.
- D’Souza and S.L.Maskara, “High rate punctured convolutional codes Derived from Rate-1/2 codes for sequential Decoding”, Ibid.
- L.Maskara, S.Chakrabarti, R.V.Raja Kumar and D.Datta, “ A low bit rate integrated Digital Video and Voice Communication System”, Discussion meeting on Recent Advances in Signal Processing and Communication, I.I.Sc, Bangalore, Jan. 18-20, 1993.
- Narayana and S.L.Maskara, “Promise of FDDI and some Design Issues”, International Conference on Computer Networking : Present status and Future Goals”, IERRERRE Gujrat Section, Ahmedabad, 19-21, Feb.. 1993.
- L.Maskara, “Telecommunications and Human Development”, IE(I), Kharagpur, 17 May, 1993.
- K.Ray and S.L.Maskara, “Some new Results on DQDB for MAN”, International Teletraffic Congress, Sponsored Seminar on Teletraffic Analysis Methods for current and further Telecommunication Networks, Nov. 15-19, 1993, I.I.Sc, Bangalore.
- L.Maskara, “Recent Trends in Fibre Optic Communication and Networks”, All India Seminar on Optoelectronics-Education, Research and Technology”, IE(I), Lucknow 18-19 Dec.,1993.
- L.Maskara, “Multimedia Communications”, IETE Mid-Term Symposium on Electronic Access and Security Systems, Calcutta, April 9, 1994.
- Ravinder Reddy and S.L.Maskara, “Modified ORWELL Protocol for Synchronous Traffic in Local Networks”, Ibid.
- L.Maskara, “Telecommunication and Culture”, IE(I), Kharagpur, 17 May, 1994.
- L.Maskara, “Fibre Optic Multiaccess Networks”, National Conference on Optical Communication, J.K.Institute of App. Phy. & Tech., University of Allahabad, Feb. 22-24,1995.
- V.V.Sankar Rao and S.L.Maskara, “A Fibre Optic LAN using Optical CDMA”, Ibid.
- D’Souza & S.L.Maskara, “Equivalent Punctured codes for given high rate codes and their memory requirements”, National Conference on Communications, IIT Kanpur, March 13-14,1995.
- L. Maskara, “Fibre Optic Code Division Multiple Access Systems”, National Symposium on Fibre Optic Communications, Networking and Sensors, IIT Kanpur, Dec. 8-9,1995
- C. Mallick, S. Bhattacharya, S.S. Pathak, C.S. Kumar, T.S. Lamba and S.L. Maskara, “ERNET Services at IIT Kharagpur- Design, Implementation and Traffic Management”, Conference on Computer Networks, Architecture and Applications, National Centre for Software Technology (NCST), Bombay, Jan 3-5 1996.
- L. Maskara, Jayaram Kumar and Y. Sairam, “Performance Evaluation of Congestion Control Strategy for a Typical ATM Network with Heterogenous Services”, National Conference on Communications (NCC-96) Bombay, Feb. 16-18, 1996.
- L. Maskara, “Vedio on Optical Fibres”, All India Seminar and Exhibition on Satellite and Cable TV - SATCAB Vision -1996, IE(I) Kharagpur 29-31, Mar 1996.
- L. Maskara, “ISDN- Path to BISDN, Seminar on ISDN”, REC Rourkela, 30-31 Aug. 1996.
- L. Maskara and R. Jayashree, “Optical Fibre Code Division Multiple Access Networks”, Proc. International Conference On Fibre Optics and Photonics (Photonics-96), Madras Dec. 9-13, 1996, pp 1175-1186.
- D'Souza and S.L. Maskara, “An Overview of High Rate Punctured Convolutional Codes and Sequential Decoding in Error Control”, National Conference on Communications (NCC-97), IIT Madras, Jan31-Feb.2,1997.
- L. Maskara, “Evolution of Broad band Communications, Conference on Distributed Processing and Networking”, IEEE Kharagpur Subsection, Kharagpur, Dec. 5-7,1997.
- L. Maskara, “Optical telecommunication Networks”, National Conference on Communications (NCC-98), IISc. Bangalore Jan 29-31, 1998.
- Jayashree and S.L. Maskara, “Multple Access by Optical Code Division - A Simulation Study on 155 Mbps Network Model”, Ibid
- L. Maskara, “Present Status and Future Projections of Internet”, IETE Seminar on Internet Build-up and Applications, Allahabad, Mar. 20-21, 1998.
- Bhaskara Srinadh and S.L. Maskara, “New Telecommunicatio Services and Technologies - Some Planning and Design Considerations”, National Conference on Communications (NCC-99), IIT Kharagpur Jan 29-31, 1999.
- P. Singh, S. Sengar and S.L. Maskara, “A Comparative Study of Congestion Control in ATM Networks”, Ibid.
- S. Kumar and S.L. Maskara, “Design and Implementation of an ATM based Multimedia Campus Network”, Ibid.
- K. Arora and S.L. Maskara, “Application of Code Division Multiple Access in Wireless Local Loops”, Ibid.
- Marichamy, S.Chakrabarti & S.L.Maskara "Overview of Hand-off Schemes in Cellular Mobile Networks and their comparative Performance Evaluation",; Proc.of the IEEE Vehicular Tech. Conf.(50th) VTC-99 Fall, Amsterdam, 19-22 Sept.1999, pp.1486-1490.
- L. Maskara; "Research, Development and Institutional Efforts to meet Connectivity Challenge", Proc. 2nd Intl.Symp. on Wireless Personal Multimedia Communications, Amsterdam, 21-23 Sept., 1999, pp.535-539.
- L.Maskara, “Next Generation Networks”, Proc. National. Conf. on Communications, (NCC-2000), IIT Delhi, Jan.28-30, 2000, pp.1-3.
- Marichamy, S. Chakrabarti and S.L. Maskara, “Performance of Handoff Schemes in Presence of Network Delay in Cellular Mobile Communications”, Ibid pp 271-274.
- L. Maskara, “Some Standards and Protocols for Integrated Services on Internet”, National Conference on Soft Computing and Information Technology, G.G. University, Bilaspur, Oct. 11-12, 2000.
- Marichamy, S. Chakrabarti and S.L. Maskara, "Rerouting Techniques and Signalling for Handoff in Wireless ATM" The Third Int. Symposium on Wireless Personal Multimedia Communications (WPMC'00), Thailand, pp 587-592, Nov 12-15, 2000,
- Vasudev Dehalwar and S.L.Maskara, “Design and Development of Voice Over IP using JAVA and its API’s”, Proc. Intl. Conf. on Commn., Computers and Devices (ICCCD 2000), IIT Kharagpur, Dec 14-16, 2000, pp. 512-515
- Marichamy, S.Chakrabarti and S.L.Maskara, “An Early Rerouting Handoff Scheme for Wireless ATM Networks”, Ibid, pp. 694-697
- Sukumar and S.L. Maskara, “Management Networks : An Important Requirement for Emerging Telecommunication and Data Networks”, Proc. National Conference on Communications (NCC-2001), IIT Kanpur Jan 29-31, 2001, pp 27-31.
- Marichamy, S. Chakrabarti and S.L. Maskara, “Soft Handoff in CDMA Cellular Mobile Communication Systems”, Ibid pp 75-80.
- Pushpa V. and S. L. Maskara, “Internet and Telecommunication Facilities for Rural Development “ Proc. Sixteenth Indian Engineering Congress,IE( I ), IIT Kharagpur,Dec. 1 – 4 ,2001
- Pushpa P. V. and S. L. Maskara, “ Communication Highway for Tomorrow “,Proc. International Conference on Energy, Automation and Information Technology ( EAIT – 2001 ), IIT Kharagpur, Dec. 10-12, 2001
- Deepak Kedia and S. L. Maskara, “Evaluation of Spreading Codes for CDMA Wireless Mobile Communication”,Proc. National Conference on Communications(NCC– 002), IIT Bombay, Mumbai, Jan. 25-27, 2002, pp 498 – 502.
- Dinesh Goyal and S. L. Maskara, “Implementation Of IP Over Wireless “, Proc. International Conference On Computer Communication ( ICCC–2002 ),Mumbai, August 12 – 14, 2002, pp 341 – 355.
- L. Maskara, “ Growth of Telecommunication and Information Technology - Looking back and Looking ahead “, Ibid.
- L. Maskara, “Towards Next Generation Wireless Networks”, Proc. of National Symposium on Emerging Trends in Networking and Mobile Communication, (NSNM 2003), IETE, Chandigarh, Sept. 5-6, 2003.
- L. Maskara, “Smart Homes – Networking Homes”, Ibid
- Marichamy, S.Chakrabarti and S.L. Maskara, “ Performance Evaluation of Handoff Detection Schemes”, Proc. of IEEE TENCON 03, Bangalore, Oct. 14-17,2003 pp 643-646.
- L. Maskara, “Continued Growth and Evolution of Mobile Communication Technology”, Proc. of National Seminar on Mobile Communication, (NSMC-03), C.V. Raman College of Engineering, Bhubaneswar, Oct. 31- Nov. 1. 2003.
- Benudhar Sahu, Saswat Chakrabarti and S.L. Maskara, “Principle of OFDM and its Potential for Application in Mobile Ad-hoc Networks”, Ibid , pp 55-60.
- L. Maskara, “Wireless and Mobile Communications – Trends and Key Technologies.” International Workshop on Wireless Communication Technologies, (IWWCT-2003), BIT Mesra, Ranchi, Nov. 12, 2003.
- Benudhar Sahu, Saswat Chakrabarti and S.L. Maskara, “Performance Evaluation of AODV Routing Protocol for Mobile Ad-hoc Networks”, Proc. of International Conf. on Computers and Devices for Communication, (CODEC-04), Institute of Radio Physics and Electronics, Kolkata, 1-3, 2004, pp78.
- Santosh Kumar and S.L. Maskara. “Mobile Ad-hoc Networks : Problems and Challenges”, of International Conf. on Communications, Devices and Intelligent Systems, (CODIS-04), Jadavpur University, Kolkata Jan 8-10, 2004.
- Vinay Kumar Shrivastava and S.L. Maskara, “ Performance of OFDM with Channel Coding and CDM for WLAN Applications”, Proc. of National Conf. on Communications (NCC-04), I.I.Sc, Bangalore, Jan. 30- Feb 1, 2004, pp 6-9
- Santosh Kumar and S.L. Maskara, “ Comparative Performance Evaluation of Some Combined MAC and Routing Protocols for Mobile Ad-hoc Networks”, Ibid, pp 65-69.
- Rahul Ranjan and S.L. Maskara, “Performance Evaluation of Some Space Time Codes Through Algebraic Design for Wireless Mobile Channels”, Ibid, pp 582-586.
- L. Maskara, “ Multi-Carrier CDMA Toward 4G.” EuroIndia 2004, New Delhi, March 24-26, 2004.
- Benudhar Sahu, Saswat Chakrabarti and S.L. Maskara, “Performance Evaluation of AODV and DSR Routing Protocols for Multimedia Services in MANET”, Proc. of Zonal Seminar on Broadband Access Technology, (ZSBAT-04), IETE Bhubaneswar, June 5-6 2004.
- N. Bhandari, R. V. Rajakumar and S. L. Maskara, “Uplink Performance of the IEEE 302.16 MAC Layer Protocol for Varying System Parameters” Proc. of the National Conference on Communications (NCC-2005), 28-30 January, 2005, IIT Kharagpur, PP 165-168.
- Mukul Kabra and S. L. Maskara, “Enhancing Data Rates Using OFDM Techniques for Various Applications”, Ibid, PP 368-372.
- L. Maskara, “Expanding Wireless World”, Invited Talk, Conference on Wireless Communication and Sensor Networks, Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad, March 5-6, 2005.
- S Mittal, K Gopal, SL Maskara A novel Bayesian Belief Network structure learning algorithm based on bio-inspired monkey search meta heuristic, 2014 Seventh International Conference on Contemporary Computing (IC3), 141-147
- S Mittal, SL Maskara, “A review of some Bayesian Belief Network structure learning algorithms”, 2011 8th International Conference on Information, Communications & Signal
- S Mittal, A Aggarwal, SL Maskara, “Contemporary developments in wireless sensor networks”, International Journal of Modern Education and Computer Science 4 (3), 1
- S Mittal, K Gopal, SL Maskara, “Preprocessing methods for context extraction from multivariate wireless sensors data—An evaluation”, Annual IEEE India Conference (INDICON), 1-6, 2013
- S Mittal, A Aggarwal, SL Maskara,”Situation recognition in sensor based environments using concept lattices,” Proceedings of the CUBE International Information Technology Conference, 579-584
- S Mittal, SL Maskara, “Towards development of wireless sensor network services based on semantic web”, 2010 Annual IEEE India Conference (INDICON), 1-4.
- Sangeeta Mittal, Shankar Lall Maskara,”A review of some Bayesian Belief Network structure learning algorithms”, 2011 8th International Conference on Information, Communications & Signal Processing December 2011.
- Sangeeta Mittal,Shankar Lall Maskara, “Towards development of Wireless Sensor Network services based on Semantic Web”, Proceeding of INDICON December 2010.
Shankar Lall Maskara, “Evaluation of Correlation Properties of Orthogonal Spreading Codes for CDMA Wireless Mobile Communication”, 2010 IEEE 2nd International Advance Computing Conference (IACC), March 2010.
2) Prof. Surendra Prasad
Designation, Qualifications: Honorary Professor, Ph.D.
Areas of Interest: Signal Processing and Communication
Phone: +91 11 2659 1115
- M. Zafaruddin ; Surendra Prasad, “GMRES Algorithm for Large-Scale Vectoring in DSL Systems”, IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Volume: 25, Issue: 8 , 2018
- Ramanjit Ahuja, Pravesh Biyani and Surendra Prasad, “Low Complexity Training Methods for Common Mode Aided Cancellation of Intermittent Alien Noise in Downstream VDSL”, IEEE Transactions on Communications, Volume: 66, Issue: 1, 2018
- Ramanjit Ahuja, Pravesh Biyani and Surendra Prasad, “On low complexity per-tone common mode sensor based alien noise cancellation for downstream VDSL”, 2017 IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), 2017
Dr. Surendra Prasad received his B. Tech (Hons) in Electronics and Electrical Communication Engineering from IIT Kharagpur in 1969, and the M. Tech (1971) and Ph. D (1974) degrees in Communication Engineering from IIT Delhi. He joined the Institute as a faculty member in 1971, and has since served in many capacities. Although he has held several administrative positions like the Dean, Undergraduate Studies (1999-2002), Deputy Director (Faculty) (2002-2005), and eventually serving as the Director (2005-2011), at heart he is a committed teacher and researcher.
Prof Prasad’s research spanning a period of more than 40 years is concerned with the development of new techniques and algorithms for signal processing; several of these are of fundamental importance and have been extensively cited in literature including text books and reference works. He has also attempted to make some contributions to indigenous R&D efforts, in the form of undertaking technologically advanced projects in sonar and seismic signal processing, array processing, speech processing and digital communications. In the nineties, Dr. Prasad led a team in developing a high speed, state of-the-art modem for digital communications over the HF Channel, which has a strategic and commercial importance. The Technology for this and several other products developed by him and his students/associates have been transferred to Indian Industry.
As a leader and member of the Joint Telematics Group of the IIT's and IISc Bangalore, Dr. Prasad has been involved with the up-gradation of technical and teacher-manpower in the area of telecommunications in the country through a range of capacity building activities. Dr. Prasad was deeply involved in the process of establishment of the Bharti School of Telecom Technology and Management, through co-operation with Bharti enterprises, and the Bharti Foundation, and has served as a Co-ordinator of this School.
As Director of the Institute, he took several major academic initiatives. Dr. Prasad has also helped his students set up their own businesses/ companies with a view to encourage entrepreneurship.
Dr. Prasad is the recipient of the Vikram Sarabhai Research Award in Electronics and Telecommunications for the year 1987, the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Engineering Sciences for 1988, and the Om Prakash Bhasin Prize for research in Electronics and Communications for 1994. He is a Fellow of the Indian National Academy of Engineering, the Indian National Science Academy, the Indian Academy of Sciences and the National Academy of Science. He has been conferred the Honorary Degree of Doctor of Technology by Loughborough University, UK, in recognition of his outstanding contributions in communications research. He has also been awarded the prestigious J.C. Bose Fellowship of DST and the meritorious RAJKUMAR VARSHNEY Award in “Systems Theory” of Systems Society of India for the year 2007. He was honoured as a Distinguished Alumnus of IIT Kharagpur in 2007. He received the Vasvik Award for 2006, and the Life Time Achievement Award of the System Society of India. He has served on many Committees of MHRD, the Planning Commission, AICTE, DRDO, CSIR, among others, and has been a member of the Board of Governors of several IIT’s NIT’s and other educational institutions and a member of the Governing Body of CSIR and CSIR Society, Govt. of India, and on the Board of Directors of EdCIL among others. He has been the Honorary Chairman of the National Board of Accreditation (NBA) for more than five year and successfully led the effort to get NBA admitted as a full signatory of the Washington Accord. He has also contributed deeply to the development of the performance metrics for the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) of MHRD, and steering the rankings effort for the first three years.
Dr. Prasad is proud of having worked with a number of outstanding students and colleagues at all levels over his long career at IIT Delhi. He feels that they have contributed immensely to his learning, and enriched his thinking. Most of his students have risen to top positions in academia, industry and Government and have distinguished themselves in their spheres of activity.