Department of Biological Sciences and Engineering
Vision of the Department
The Department of BSE aims to become a globally recognized centre for creating well trained and competent human resource for solving problems in the areas of healthcare, energy and environment through the application of principles of Science and Engineering in Biology.
Mission of the Department
- To create a pool of well-trained Interdisciplinary Scientists and Engineers who can independently generate, disseminate and apply scientific knowledge in serving the needs of society.
- To conduct research in fundamental and multi-disciplinary areas of Biological Sciences and Engineering at par with the national and international standards.
- To inculcate sense of responsibility, ethics, inquisitiveness, innovation and entrepreneurship among the graduating students.
- To create nurturing environment and world class infrastructure for continuous learning and professional growth in Biological Sciences and Engineering.
The four year Biotechnology program has the following Program Educational Objectives (PEOs) and Program Specific Outcomes (PSOs):
Program Educational Objectives
- To impart extensive and updated knowledge in the basic and advanced aspects of modern Biotechnology to create well-trained human resource.
- To create a group of young professionals with skills to investigate and solve the industrial and environmental problems of the present day Biotechnology industry.
- To create professionals able to conceptualize as well as achieve modern tools, products and applications in various sectors of Biotechnology.
- To create graduates aware of the financial, social, ethical and intellectual property related issues and is able to effectively communicate and address societal concerns in these regards.
- To be able to recognize the need for and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent life-long learning in the broadest context of technological changes.
Program Specific Outcomes
- Students will gain skills to identify, analyze, understand and solve complex problems related to the field of Biotechnology.
- Students will develop proficiency for development of Biotechnological processes and products.
- Students will be able to apply environmental, societal, health, safety, ethical, legal and economic considerations to Biotechnological research and innovation.
- Students will develop good communication and leadership skills in multidisciplinary environment for Biotechnology project and finance management.
Biotechnology is set to revolutionize human life and the society. It is one among the most dynamic areas of science and engineering today, which represents a synthesis of evolving technologies that will propel the industries towards sustainable development. Today, this growing discipline is poised on the interface of various subjects that contribute to the growth of pharmaceutical, agricultural, food and many other industries.
The present Department of Biological Sciences and Engineering was conceived with the aim of creating well-trained human resource to fulfil the growing demand in various sectors of Biotechnology. The Department was started during the academic session 2004-05.
The Department presently offers-
B.Tech Biotechnology - NSUT Delhi offers admission to this 4-year Bachelor's program (B.Tech) in the department, with an intake of sixty students per year. This four year program imparts in-depth knowledge of Basic and advance/applied courses in Biotechnology. Under the CBCS system, the course is enriched with a range of subjects from different Departments of the University. The core courses lay a basic and strong foundation in the science behind Biotechnology as well as its industrial applications including Structural Biology, Bioinformatics, Microbiology, Immunology, Nanotechnology and Biochemical engineering. Foundation electives provide for all round individual development while open electives allow students to enrich themselves in skills offered by other Departments. Apart from this, a large number of tutorials, practical classes, training, seminar and project are built into the curriculum to provide hands on experience to students.
M.Tech Biochemical Engineering-We offer admission to a 2-year master program with an intake of 18 students per year. The curriculum has been designed in order to provide all students with background in Biochemical Engineering. The curriculum primarily focuses on the interaction between the disciplines of Chemical Engineering, Enzyme technology, Bio Chemistry, and Microbiology. Applications of the specialty are found in pharmaceutical, food and water treatment industries etc.
M.Tech Bioinformatics-We offer admission to a 2-year master program with an intake of 18 students per year. The curriculum has been designed in order to provide in-depth knowledge in Bioinformatics, computational biology, and to provide knowledge regarding the use of IT in the field of bioinformatics. Apart from core competency courses for bioinformatics, this program provides a choice of electives both from the biology as well as IT domains. Several of these electives are project based, providing practical training to the students.
PhD Program- Ph.D. degree programme is offered in various areas of specialization by the faculty members. The Faculty members and the students of the Department conducts research in diverse areas of basic and applied biology. These include Microbiology, Cell & Molecular Biology and Structural & Computational Biology. The department has developed necessary facilities and infrastructure to support teaching and research activities.
Alumni- Distinguished Alumni